Sunday, April 17, 2011

Long Run (Marley Park to Glenmalure 40.57miles)

I took for days off running after the Wicklow Way Ultra and jst did easy mountain biking to loosen out the legs but got back in to it the following thrsday as the soreness dissipated. I had been sort of planning doing something long on the Wicklow Way as I have been thinking for a while now of giving this a go in the very very near future. Im not 100% on the exact date yet but it will probably have to be early to mid May or June. I will be posting when I have decided properly.
Back to my run on the 9th of April. The weather was just perfect for this and after scaling the wall of Marley park at 7am, I made my way to the info board which marks the start of the Way. I had parked my car at the Glenmalure lodge the previous night and got a lift to Dublin off my cousin so I had a very short journey to make to the start point.The route winds  its way through the park for the first mile or so and before I was met with the back wall of the Park, which again had to be negotiated. Once safely over I continued on down the road under the M50 underpass and up Kilmashogue lane towards the forest. At the time I was thinking about the contrast of passing one of the  busiest roads in the country with what was  to come along the rest of the route and I couldnt wait to get away from there. I really enjoyed this run and the peacefulness of the area at that time of theday.By the time I reached Djouce I think I had only met one man and his dog. Here though I started to encounter the odd hiker,or person camping. This was naturally going to change during the course of the day and by the time I reached Glendaough I had to weave around all the tourists and sightseers that the area inevitably brings. Still it didnt take from my enjoyment.
I only encountered 1 detour along the route between Ballinfunshogue wood and Oldbridge where coillte were doing their thing. But it was a minor detour and probably added slightly to the distance. I availed of the farmers tap after Oldbridge after that short road section. This was very handy as I was running low on water at this stage.
All in all the run took 6 hours and 59 minutes which I was happy with that considering the stops to take some pictures on my phone. I also took a wrong turn just before Glenmalure as it wasnt quite clear which way the little yellow man was pointing (the prick!!). A welcome soak in the river afterwards helped to take some of the soreness from the legs and by Monday I felt quite good apart from a little bit of pain in my foot which I think I picked up from stepping on a stone.
So I'll update when I'm going to have a crack at the full route when I know.

No comments:

Post a Comment