Saturday, April 23, 2011

Wicklow Way Attempt - 132km Marley Park, Dublin to Clonegal, Co. Carlow

I have been thinking about having a go at running this for quite a while now, but wasnt sure whether I should try it before or after the Lakeland 100 race in July. Well I decided that if I was going to do it at all I might as well give it my best shot and get the best possible time I'm capable of. So I reasoned that I'm pretty fit for purpose at the moment so why not  now, instead of on tired legs later in the year. May 14th is the date I have set and I have managed to rope a couple of people in to helping with support so it should be all systems go on the day.  Hopefully I will be setting off at 4am from the Wicklow Way Start board inside the walls of Marley that morning
The current record stands at 13 hours 46 minutes and 1 second set by Eoin Keith in september 2008. You can read his detailed account here
Eoin's record knocked a huge chunk off Simon  Walters' old record set in 1998 which is here
It would be great to get anywhere near Eoin's time but he didn't leave too much room for improvement (thank's Eoin). Anyway its a great route and I'm really looking forward to a long run in the hills.

No comments:

Post a Comment