Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Carrauntoohil and plans for the Summer

On Sunday the 5th of June the the race up Ireland's highest peak takes place, starting from the south side of the mountain on the Kerry Way and taking in the peaks of Curraghmore and Caher on the way. It is an IMRA Irish championship race and, given the history and lore of the mountain, is probably one of the biggest days on the mountain running calendar. The weather has been promised very favourable, which is a big plus for people like me who could manage to get themselves lost in their own back garden. Details and a map of the course can be seen here. I'm looking forward to some proper open mountain running in a lovely part of the world. I'll post a report on. ow things go next week.

I had planned on going up north next weekend for the Mourne Way Ultra but I have decided against this for a couple of reasons. The first being that I dont think I have fully recovered from The Wicklow Way run and secondly and probably more importantly, I want to be ready and not all raced out for the World Trail Championships  which I have been selected to run in. I am very grateful for the opportunity and hope I can prove I was worth selecting. The one downside to doing this race is that it is just 3 weeks before the Lakeland 100 which means that preparation for the latter may suffer. Still I wont get the opportunity too often so I better grab it when its there and as a consequence  the World Trail will definately take priority

No comments:

Post a Comment